My favorite little aqua redo

I picked up this little cabinet thing at the Yard Crawl earlier this summer. (Oh how I miss those awesome yard saleing days of summer already. Cue the violins.)

I really liked the shape but it was in terrible condition. I decided five dollars was the absolute most I would pay and that is exactly what I got it for. One of the huge problems on this piece was the peeling veneer on top. I started to repair it with wood filler, but then seeing just how loose it was, decided to try peeling it off instead.  I got really excited when I found this unique hardwood top underneath – it is pieced together from strips of different types of wood.

I decided to go turquoise with this piece – my absolute favorite color.  I primed and painted before heavily distressing her.  I decided to try using stain as a glaze of sorts and love how it turned out.  I wiped stain on in small sections and then immediately wiped it off with a damp cloth.  There were some areas where the stain looked ‘dirtier’ than I wanted so I wiped them down lightly with paint thinner which easily removed the excess stain.

I really love this whole piece but my absolute favorite part is the rustic stained top.

I just delivered this piece to my booth at Olde Salem Mercantile last night.  Of all the pieces I have redone to sell, this is the only one so far that I have really had a hard time parting with.  I thought about keeping it but I don’t have the perfect place for it so to the shop it went.  Anyone else have a hard time parting with your finished pieces?

EDITED TO ADD:  The paint color was a mistint I picked up but it is similar to Valspar Aqua Ocean (5005-10A).  (Maybe a little lighter than Aqua Ocean).  The stain color is Minwax English Chesnut.

I am sharing this transformation at Get Your DIY On.

130 Flares Facebook 2 Twitter 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 128 StumbleUpon 0 Email -- 130 Flares ×

Comments

I love it…like, I would sneak in your house at night and steal it love it. I can never wrap my head around people who get rid of such “good” stuff, but I’m always glad they do…so I can have it!

I absolutely love this piece…love how you stained the wood top, love the color and love the glazing. I’ve tried that before, using stain, and it always looked dirty, like you said. So, I will give it a go again w/ paint thinner on hand…thanks for the tip!!! Awesome find and love how you got creative w/ the missing cabinet door!

I’m so in love with this piece! Turquoise is my favorite color too and I’m loving the stained top. The accessories you decorated it with are darling as well :)

You did a great job on this…it is definitely an unusual piece and I love how you chose to refinish it! I just picked up a $5 little table yesterday at Restore…don’t ya just love a good deal?!

OMG! I love the colors of this and love what you did to this piece of furniture! I wanted to let you know that you are the reader’s choice for this project today on Sew Woodsy! Come on over and grab a sparkling new “readers choice” button and while your at it you can update your current featured button!

That is so stinkin’ cute! Yes I have a problem parting with almost every piece I do. I do love it when it goes to a home that loves it just as much as I do. I just found your cute blog and I am following :)
    Carrie @fineandhandy.blogspot.com

Carrie @fineandhandy.blogspot.com

OH EM GEE!! This is gorgeous. I love it. Just found your blog through the shabby creek cottage and am loving your projects. So beautiful. I look forward to seeing more. :)

Carrie, I love this piece. It’s beautiful and you did an amazing job bringing it back from the dead. I am featuring it on my blog tomorrow! Thank you so much for linking up to Get Your DIY On last week!! Hope you’ll join us tomorrow with your holiday signs.

Mandy @ The Hankful House Blog
    Mandy Hank recently posted…Daily InspirationMy Profile

10. amy g says

I dont know where you are located but any chance this piece is for sale?? It’s just what I’m looking for.