I have shared very little of our home here on the blog so far. There is a good reason for that. I have done tons of cute little projects and found lots of awesome vintage goodness to decorate our home. But beneath all the cute little touches is a lot of dated ugliness.
|The much exploited one cute area of the house.|
Until now I have just overlooked the problem floors, kitchen, and bathrooms because those types of projects typically take some mega money. But I have decided that this year I am not just going to DIY cute little projects, I am going to THINK BIG! I may not be able to afford everything I would love to do to make our home ours, but I can make a start.
Instead of little tweaks here and there, I am going to really change some things. And I am going to do it for very little money. And at the end of 2012, this house is going to be amazing. Well, more amazing than now.
So, anyway, here's my list.
- Banish as much brown and gold from the kitchen as possible. Our kitchen is a great size and has a pretty nice layout. But it is terribly ugly. From the gold and white countertops and backsplash to the brown blinds, some things need to change. Not to mention painting the kitchen cabinets has been on my to-do list since we moved in 3 years ago. This year it is totally happening.
- Get some light up in this house! This is the thing I hate the most. Our home is situated very charmingly in the woods. Unfortunately, this means many of the windows are shaded and not a ton of light comes in. Add to that the fact our home was built at a time when overhead lights were not in fashion and sometimes I feel like I am in a cave.
- Change the foyer from ugly to inviting. We are lucky enough to have a (very small) entry area inside the front door. It even has stone floors - unfortunately, they are super ugly and dirty. They are also the only thing currently in the entry - no furniture, no art, terrible. I WILL make that little area cute and welcoming this year.
- Build some built-in bookshelves in the living room. I LOVE books and we have a ton. They are on bookcases all over the house plus there are even some in drawers. Now they will all be corralled in our new “library”.
- Overhaul the master bathroom. This actually is not optional. It is a long story that all began with a mushroom but I will save that story for another day. The jist is we have to completely tear out and redo the shower and floor. Quite the undertaking.
- Paint some of the big pieces of furniture I am hoarding in the basement. I have a great dresser, a wardrobe, a huge cabinet, and some other things that I would love to see revived. But I never seem to get around to them because they are too big to sell in my little booth. Time to make some progress on that huge pile.
- Change the flooring in the majority of the house - As I have mentioned before, I hate the flooring in the majority of our house. From the off-white linoleum to the dirty carpet it needs to go. Happily, I am already hard at work on solving this. Come back next week to see the reveal.
That should keep me busy this year. I can’t wait to check each item off the list.
And before I end I want to say a huge thanks to 2 bloggers who have featured some of my favorite projects from this year. Thanks to Beyond the Picket Fence for featuring my favorite aqua cabinet as part of her "These are a few of my favorite things" series. When I saw she had chosen to include my project I was so surprised - it totally made my evening.
And Serenity Now featured my Blessed Sign at her Weekend Bloggy Reading Party. This is a great linky party to share your best post from that week - makes for lots of good reading. Thanks so much ladies!
Wishing you all a great start to 2012. Linking up these goals over at the Nesting Place's 2012 Home Goals Party.