I think I'm kind of in love with these floors.
This was not a quick or easy project but it was sooo worth the effort. I should add here that this project does not have to take months to complete - I had lots of delays with the holidays and general busyness.
Here is a quick run-down of how I did it.
- Rip out old carpet and carpet padding. Remove all tack strips and staples from subfloor.
- Patch the seams and staple holes. (This is the only part I really wasn't pleased with. I used Flexible Floor Patch and Leveler. This was not the right choice. It is good because it flexes with the floor and all that stuff. But it is horrible because you can't sand it smooth).
- Sand the floor. We just used a small palm sander but of course a large floor sander would work much faster. Just remember that this is plywood - it is not going to be silky smooth.
- Prime the floor with a quality primer. (Zinsser Oil-based primer)
- Paint the base color onto the floor. (Valspar porch and floor paint in ‘Chimney Smoke’)
- Paint border around room (Valspar ‘Crucible’). To get nice crisp lines follow these steps.
- Stencil the design inside the border. (Paisley Allover Stencil from Cutting Edge.
- Seal the floor to protect it. (Varathane Crystal Clear Water-based floor sealer in Satin Finish)
LOVE! There will certainly be more painted floors making their way through my house in the not-too-distant future.
Now I need to finish the trim, and then it is on to the total room makeover these floors have jump-started. I want to make sure the rest of the room is as great as the floors!
UPDATE: Be sure to check out my update on how the floors are holding up seven months later right here!