Map Mirror

I am lucky enough to have friends and family who support my obsession with rescuing old worn-out furniture and decor. I love getting a phone call from someone who has some old junk for me to makeover.

My step-grandmother-in-law (say that five times fast) recently gave me this mirror to transform. It had a sweet little shape but many years ago it had been painted the color of a number two pencil – not the best look.

map mirror before

I knew right away this mirror was calling out for more than a fresh coat of paint. It needed something graphic to help keep the curves from looking too country. I knew that maps were the perfect solution.

I adore map projects. One of my very first posts highlighted some amazing map inspiration and one of my favorite projects is my map typewriter stand.

I started by taping off the mirror and spray painting the frame white in case the paint showed through anywhere. Then I broke out the Mod podge and a 1989 atlas from the Goodwill.

mod podge mirror

The last time I tried to mod podge a map, it turned into a wrinkly mess. I did not want that happening again, so I followed some tips from Mod Podge Rocks and sprayed both sides of my maps with acrylic sealer first.

map mirror during

I mod podged the map to the frame and then followed up with four coats of mod podge on top to make sure it was protected.

I love how it turned out! Beautiful, graphic, and wrinkle-free.

new york map mirror

I chose to use the maps of major U.S. cities for this project.

city map mirror

map mirror close up

I love how the maps wrap around the chunky sides of the mirror.

Of course, this would be a great using a map of your own city or state. And the same technique could be used to wrap picture frames. It would be really sweet to cover some frames in maps of your favorite vacation spots and fill them with vacation photos. Hmm…I may just have to try that one myself. Personalized, meaningful home décor is always my favorite.

So, do you love maps as much as me? Seen any other great map projects lately?

21 Flares Facebook 0 Twitter 0 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 21 StumbleUpon 0 Email -- 21 Flares ×

Comments

So original and cute. This would be great in a child’s room. Never would have thought to use a map. I hope you don’t mind; I’ve pinned it with a link.

If you have lived in a lot of different states, or towns, would be cute to put photos of your former homes with a matching map of the location….

Hi Carrie!

We just stumbled across your blog and wanted to tell you how much we love it!
    Our interiors company is all about up-cycling and re-purposing so we have been trawling through your posts finding it really inspiring :)
    Can’t wait to see more!

From the gals at es design, NZ

What a unique mirror.

I came over from the Linky Follower party HOP to follow you and hope you will come follow me as well.

Cheri from Its So Very Cheri

(if you are already following me–sorry for the confusion–I am having a hard time keeping track of all the new followers and trying to follow everyone who entered my Linky Follower Party Hop.)

My husband would love this because he loves maps! And is that the real reflection? Beautiful! I’d love for you to consider linking this up to my “Drab to Fab” party going on right now at my blog. We celebrate turning the ordinary into extraordinary using a little creativity. You embodied that theme in this post, so come on over and share!

Have a great weekend!

Amy

Okay, I swear I was following you on GFC before but somehow I wasn’t. So, I’m GFC and Linky now. I love what you are doing here and want to see more! You have some terrific projects.

Have a great weekend!