In general I am not a clutter hoarder. I weed the clothes I no longer wear out my closet every couple of months. I take books to the used book store constantly. I love to get rid of stuff I no longer need. However, I do have a clutter Achilles' heel – craft supplies and DIY projects.
And this scary, scary room is the biggest clutter problem of all – my craft/work room. Which is supposed to be becoming the baby’s room in a few months.
Yeah, it is a disaster. Because even though I am great at not holding onto mounds clothes or papers that I no longer need, I can’t seem to let go of little scraps of ribbon and random clock parts that I just know I could make into something amazing – someday.
So I turned to a favorite quote to help guide my decluttering.
I love this quote and feel like it is a great way to measure what things belong in your home. But I have realized it just doesn’t always work for a DIYer. I started cleaning out my craft supplies and unfinished projects, determined to keep only those things that are useful or beautiful. But I quickly found that I was getting nowhere fast.
The problem is I have piles and piles of stuff that I am sure I can make beautiful. And there are so many things I know I can repurpose to be useful. Which leaves me with just what I started with – piles and piles of stuff.
So I made my own list of criteria to help me declutter.
Decluttering general stuff
- Do I use this? How often?
- Do I love this?
- Would I miss it if it were gone?
- Have I used this in the last six months?
- Do I have something specific in mind to use it for?
- Do I enjoy using this type of craft material?
- Do I have more than I need?
- How long have I had this?
- Do I have a great idea for it?
- Will I be using/finishing it in the next six months?
- How much time/work is it realistically going to take to finish?
- Someone else can really make something great with this stuff. (Unlike me who has had it waiting on a shelf for a year).
- I have to get rid of stuff – I need the space.
Anyone else have a problem with hoarding projects and supplies? How do you deal with it?
I am linking this post at Serenity Now.