Hello! So sorry for the long absence. I have been quite busy spending time with baby Griffin all day…and night. But we are starting to figure things out a bit. And as much as I love being a mom, I am definitely ready to get back to some of the other things I love. And now for a gratuitous picture. Isn’t he cute?
Like pretty much everyone else, the start of the new year has got me really thinking about change. Over the past year, a lot of things have changed for me. Some of them obvious – my sweet little baby for one – and some more subtle. Last year at this time, I posted a list of my home goals for the year. I was afraid to even look at that list because I certainly did not check everything off. But in the interest of full disclosure here is a brief summary:
- Banish the brown and gold from the kitchen – 100% didn’t happen.
- Get some more light in the house – not so much.
- Make the foyer inviting – nope.
- Make built-ins in the living room – yes, I actually did this one!
- Overhaul master bathroom – still no.
- Rehab big pieces of furniture in basement – painted one wardrobe, sold most of the rest in my major hoard-busting yard sale.
- Change the flooring throughout the house – finished painting the living and dining room floors.
So not such great progress – I completed one goal and halfway accomplished two more. Of course when I made that list, I didn’t anticipate spending most of 2012 pregnant.
At the start of 2013, I remembered my list of home goals from last year and contemplated making another one. But I really don’t feel the desire to make a list of home goals this year. There are still plenty of things I want to lovelify (is that a real word?) around here – including all of the things I never got to in 2012. But when I think about what I want out of 2013, a pretty house isn’t really at the top of the list.
However, there are some things I am definitely looking forward to doing a little differently in 2013.
- Take risks. It is so easy to play it safe and it is certainly in my nature to take the more secure, stable option. But I think it is time to start taking some chances and stepping out on a limb. It is time for a little more excitement. I’m really not sure what this will look like but I’m on the look out for new opportunities.
- Really focus on showing my husband love in the way he best receives it. If you haven’t ever read The Five Love Languages, you really should. It is a great book for anyone in any kind of relationship and it really explains why even if you love someone like crazy, they may not feel it if you aren’t speaking their ‘language.’ My husband’s love language is physical touch and mine so isn’t, so I have my work cut out for me.
- Lose the baby weight – yes, it is a total cliché to make a New Years Resolution to lose weight, but, hey, this year it really is a top priority. I’m not feeling too great about how I look right now and that has to change.
- Lose the clutter. Last summer I did a huge whole-house purge and got rid of tons and tons of stuff…but lately I am feeling like it wasn’t enough. How much stuff do two people (and a tiny baby) really need? Way less than what we have. I want to get rid of more. I want to be ruthless about it.
- Figure out how to balance Lovely Etc. with my other responsibilities and priorities. I’ve been doing a lot of thinking about Lovely Etc. over the past several weeks that I haven’t been blogging. I love blogging and am not going to quit but I am planning to make some changes around here. More to come on that soon.
- Take lots of pictures of my family. Sadly most of the pictures on my hard drive from the past couple of years are of creative projects. I am resolved to take lots of pictures of the important people and places in my life this year.
- Take another crack at that list of home goals from last year. Okay, so I just can’t help it. Decorating may not be my top priority but I still love doing it. And there are definitely still plenty of places in my home that are in major need of love.
Here’s to accomplishing way more of the things on my 2013 list than my 2012 list! Because this list is definitely a little more important to me.
Over the next few weeks I will finally be sharing some details about the nursery as well as some things that have been on my mind lately and some of my thoughts on the future of Lovely Etc. Have a great week!