This beautiful DIY Christmas Ornament is easy to make with a few simple supplies and the free O Little Town of Bethlehem printable.
I’m just a little bit in love with today’s DIY Christmas ornament.
O Little Town of Bethlehem has always been one of my favorite Christmas carols; there is something about the simplicity and the meaning that I just really love.
Free O Little Town of Bethlehem Printable
Clearly, to make this awesome little DIY Christmas ornament, you need a copy of the song O Little Town of Bethlehem.
Mine is from an old hymnal. (Did you realize hymnals have all the classic Christmas carols included? So awesome for Christmas crafting!)
I tend to find hymnals by the dozens at estate sales, yard sales, and thrift stores. But I realize not everyone realized they needed to be on the lookout for an old hymnal.
Plus, I’m sure there are places where scoring an old hymnal isn’t quite so easy as it is here in the South.
So I’m going to help you guys out. I’ve got three of my favorite Christmas carols all ready for you to download and print for all your Christmas crafting needs.
And if you are looking for more great Christmas carol printables, I have nine more right here.
So now that you have your very own copy of O Little Town of Bethlehem, on to the ornament making!
This post contains affiliate links which means if you make a purchase after clicking a link I will earn a small commission but it won’t cost you a penny more. Click here to see my full disclosure policy.
DIY O Little Town of Bethlehem Ornament
- Wood slice – you can cut a slice of a branch from your yard or take the easy route and just buy some like I did
- Copy of O Little Town of Bethlehem – free download here
- Matte Mod Podge and paint brush – for attaching the printable song to the tree slice. You can use a different finish if you prefer, but I think matte looks best for anything vintage inspired
- eye hook and string – for the ornament hanger, baker’s twine is my favorite for hanging ornaments
How to Make the Ornament
Actually making the ornament is pretty simple.
Trace your tree slice onto your copy of the song.
Cut the traced shape out, cutting it slightly smaller than the lines you drew so that a slight border of wood shows once it is attached.
Use Mod Podge to attach the song to the wood. Brush a think layer of Mod Podge onto the wood and smooth the music onto it.
Once it has dried, brush a layer of Mod Podge on top of the song as well to seal it.
Once the Mod Podge has completely dried, draw your Bethlehem skyline onto the song with a pencil.
There isn’t really one right way to do this, just draw an outline of buildings of varying heights with windows.
Fill in the skyline using a black sharpie.
Screw an eye hook into the top of your ornament and hang with a string from your gorgeous Christmas tree!
Ready to see some more amazing Christmas ornaments? You can see all of my handmade Christmas ornaments here. And you can find more creative handmade ornaments from my fellow bloggers at the links below:
- Gold Leaf Polka Dot Ornament | The Happier Homemaker
- Polymer Clay Snowflake Ornament | Remodelando la Casa
- Clothes Pin Snowman Ornament | Serendipity Refined
- 3D Deer Head Ornament | Cherished Bliss
- Glitter Monogram Ornament | It All Started With Paint
- Simple Canvas Tree Ornament | Bigger Than The Three of Us
- Painted Grinch Ornament | Mom 4 Real
- Cupcake Sprinkles Ornament | All Things G&D
- Frosted Hot Glue Snowflake | Thrifty and Chic
- Globe Ornament | Whats Ur Home Story
- Felt Flower Ornament | May Richer Fuller Be
And if you love Christmas music, I have a whole collection of DIY Christmas music decor along with more printable Christmas music.
- Tree Slice
- Copy of O Little Town of Bethlehem (free download)
- Matte Mod Podge
- Foam Brush
- Eye Hook and String
- Trace your tree slice onto the copy of the song.
- Cut your traced shape out slightly smaller than your lines.
- Use Mod Podge to attach the song to the wood slice.
- Coat the top of the song with Mod Podge to seal it. Let dry.
- Draw your Bethlehem skyline onto the song with a pencil.
- Use a black sharpie to fill in the skyline.
- Screw an eye hook into the top of your ornament.
- Add string for hanging.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Hampton Art Birch Coaster Wood Slices 3.5 in. to 4 in. Rustic Wedding and Craft Pack of 4
Mod Podge Waterbase Sealer, Glue (16-Ounce) CS11302 Matte Finish, 3 Pack
Sharpie Permanent Marker, Fine Point, Black, Pack of 3
Small Screw Eye 150PCS 1 inch Silver Color Zinc Plated Metal Cup Hooks Eye Shape Screw Hooks Self-Tapping Screws Hooks Ring.