These easy DIY wall shelves include a huge range of budget-friendly ideas. From simple floating shelves to upcycled shelves to DIY shelf brackets, there are ideas here for every room in the house.
Wall shelves are one of the quickest and easiest ways to add both style and functional storage to almost any space. Shelves look beautiful in kitchens, bathrooms, living rooms, bedroom, small rooms, large rooms – basically anywhere.
They’re also the perfect DIY project, even if you’re a woodworking beginner, since most DIY shelves are incredibly easy to make.
You’ll also save a lot of money by making your own wall shelves. And even better, when you make your own shelves, you can completely customize the size and finish to work in your space.
DIY Wall Shelves
There are actually many different styles of wall shelves; here are 6 popular types of wall shelves that will add style and function to any room in your home:
- Floating Shelves: Floating shelves don’t have visible shelf brackets, so they look as if they are floating on the wall. These airy shelves are perfect for small spaces or as accents in larger rooms.
- Fixed Bracket Shelves: These are what many of us picture when we think about wall shelves – wooden shelves with visible brackets supporting them. What really sets these shelves apart is how you can completely change the look and feel just by changing out the brackets.
- Pipe Shelves: Pipe shelves can give any space an industrial-chic look with their metal pipe shelf brackets. You can see how I used a similar idea with pipe to make industrial curtain rods.
- Wall Shelf with Hooks: Small shelves are often combined with hooks to make a one-stop storage center. This type of shelf is perfect for entryways or mudrooms, as it provides a place to hang coats and store hats, gloves, and other outdoor gear.
- Hanging Shelves: Hanging shelves are usually suspended from above by rope or chain.
- Picture Frame Shelf: Often called a picture ledge, these shelves are a great way to display artwork that you plan to change regularly.
The 23 DIY shelves below include tutorials for each of these styles of shelves plus many more.
23 DIY Wall Shelves
These DIY wall shelves are all budget-friendly and easy to make. Just click the link below each picture for the full tutorial.
Bathroom Floating Shelves
Floating shelves are extremely popular for many reasons. They look beautiful and can work in so many rooms in the house.
DIY Wood Hanging Rope Shelf
Add a modern shelving unit using rope and wood. This is such a simple shelf project but it adds tons of style.
These DIY wall shelves are super cheap and easy to make thanks to the simple DIY shelf brackets that cost only a couple of dollars.
Easy DIY Floating Shelves
You can build gorgeous floating shelves to display books, photos or any collectibles.
DIY Headboard Wood Shelf
Learn how to make an extra long shelf that serves double duty with this amazing wood headboard shelf.
Custom Built In Shelves in Wall
Learn how to build custom built in wall shelves with this step-by-step tutorial.
Simple Rustic DIY Shelf
Add a coastal touch to your home decorating with a simple rustic shelf. This one's made with driftwood, but any reclaimed wood will work.
Floating Dining Room Shelves
These chunky dining room shelves not only look beautiful, they are also super simple to make!
Popsicle Stick Hexagon Shelf
We all love a good upcycling project and this hexagon shelf is amazing! Can you believe it's made from popsicle sticks?
DIY Barn Wood Shelf
Repurpose barn wood into a functional and beautiful wall shelf.
Upcycled Hanging Shelf DIY
Here is another great upcycling project turned into a fun hanging shelf.
DIY Rustic Shelves
These rustic shelves add both style and function to a small bathroom. I especially love those awesome shelf brackets made from basic hardware.
DIY Living Room Shelves
Add extra storage and a decorative touch to your living room with modern floating shelves.
Replacing Kitchen Cabinets with Open Shelving
Open shelving is becoming more and more popular in kitchens. These shelves were made using simple shelf brackets and a few pine boards.
DIY Floating Shelves Tutorial
It's easier than you may think to build your own DIY wall shelves using a few inexpensive wood boards. Plus these are super budget-friendly.
How to Make Rustic Shelves
Get the simple how-to for these rustic shelves with decorative brackets. This tutorial also has some great tips for giving new wood the look of reclaimed wood.
Upcycle Bed Slats Into Shelves
Now this is a super creative idea for upcycling bed slats into a shelf.
15-Minute Ledge Shelf DIY
All you need is about 15 minutes and a few supplies to make this easy DIY ledge shelf.
DIY Pipe Corner Shelf
Looking for a unique way to add shelving around a television? This corner pipe shelf is such a clever idea!
Simple Wall Shelf with Hooks
Add an inexpensive wall shelf next to your front door to store hats, keys, leashes, and more.
Installing Shelves Around your TV
A great alternative to an entertainment center is to build shelves around your television. This post also includes helpful tips for ensuring they shelves are level.
DIY Crate Shelves
Crate shelves are a great way to add storage and dimension to a bathroom or any room where you need extra storage.
Easy DIY Bathroom Storage Shelves
Learn how to build your own bathroom storage shelf the easy way.
More DIY home organization ideas I think you’ll like:
I’d love for you to pin this post on Pinterest!
Leave a Reply